The Citadel Netters Take Down Coker in a 6-3 Decision
Hartsville, S.C. – The Citadel tennis team won a 6-3 decision over Coker Thursday afternoon on the road to improve its overall record to 7-9 on the season. The Cobras suffered their fourth loss of the season to drop to 9-4.
The Bulldogs swept Coker in doubles play. David Orces and Oliver Dedding extended their winning streak to three matches with a victory over Andre Staab and George Handy, 8-1. The Bulldog duo leads the team with nine wins. Peter Bleach and Alex Howle also continued their winning streak with a victory over Tom Sizeland and William Marrafao, 8-3. The Bulldog sophomores have found success playing together as they improved their record to 3-1 as a pair. JC Pauli and Dillon Berkabile defeated James Corfield and Martin Moncayo, 8-4. With the win the Odyssey Charter teammates extended their winning streak to two matches and jumped above the .500 mark with a 4-3 record.
In singles three different Bulldogs earned a point for The Citadel netters. Orces and Bleach both earned their 10th win on the season to led the team.
In the No. 1 position The Citadel senior took down Staab in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3. Orces is three wins shy of matching his win total from just a season ago.
The South African native, Bleach defeated Marrafao in three sets. In the No. 3 slot Bleach fell in the first set 5-7, but rebounded to win the second set 6-1 and third 6-3. The Citadel sophomore is currently on a four-match winning streak.
In the No. 5 spot for the Dogs, Elliott Sperr downed Handy 6-4, 6-4. The Bulldog captain improved his singles record to 6-9.
The Citadel will return to the courts on Saturday at the Earle Tennis Center for its last home match of the season. The Bulldogs will take on conference foe Furman at 1 p.m.
1. David Orces (CIT) def. Andre Staab (COKER) 6-3, 6-3
2. Tom Sizeland (COKER) def. Dillon Berkabile (CIT) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Peter Bleach (CIT) def. William Marrafao (COKER) 5-7, 6-1, 6-3
4. James Corfield (COKER) def. Oliver Dedding (CIT) 6-1, 6-2
5. Elliott Sperr (CIT) def. George Handy (COKER) 6-4, 6-4
6. Martin Moncayo (COKER) def. JC Pauli (CIT) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
1. David Orces/Oliver Dedding (CIT) def. Andre Staab/George Handy (COKER) 8-1
2. Peter Bleach/Alex Howle (CIT) def. Tom Sizeland/William Marrafao (COKER) 8-3
3. JC Pauli/Dillon Berkabile (CIT) def. James Corfield/Martin Moncayo (COKER) 8-4