Furman Blanks Bulldogs 7-0 at Earle Tennis Center
Charleston, S.C. – The Citadel tennis team fell to Furman in a 7-0 decision Saturday at the Earle Tennis Center in its final home match of the season.
The Citadel netters dropped to 7-10 overall and 0-7 in conference play while the Paladins picked up their second SoCon win in consecutive days and improved to 5-12 overall and 2-4 in the league.
The match was highlighted as Senior Day as it was David Orces' last match at the Earle Tennis Center.
The Bulldog senior was unable to pick up a win on the day losing in singles and doubles. Playing in the No. 1 slot Orces was defeated by senior Andrew Mellow in straight sets, 7-5, 6-2. In doubles action the Guayaquil, Ecuador native paired up with Oliver Dedding. The Bulldog duo could not hold off the superior play of Alex Christ and Matt Browne as they fall 8-5.
Peter Bleach's four-match winning streak was halted this afternoon by freshman Browne. Bleach fell 6-3, 7-6. Browne extended his own streak to four-consecutive wins while leading the Paladins with nine victories on the year.
The Bulldogs remain on the lookout for their first conference win with two SoCon matches coming up this week. The Citadel will travel down the road to take on College of Charleston at Patriots Point on Wednesday at 4 p.m. On Sunday the Dogs will take on Chattanooga at noon.
1. Andrew Mellow (FUR) def. David Orces (CIT) 7-5, 6-2
2. Alex Christ (FUR) def. Dillon Berkabile (CIT) 6-2, 6-1
3. Matt Browne (FUR) def. Peter Bleach (CIT) 6-3, 7-6
4. Jacob Behal (FUR) def. Oliver Dedding (CIT) 6-1, 6-1
5. Luke Synn (FUR) def. Elliott Sperr (CIT) 6-4, 7-6
6. Tyler Droll (FUR) def. Jackson Pride (CIT) 6-1, 6-2
1. Alex Christ/Matt Browne (FUR) def. David Orces/Oliver Dedding (CIT) 8-5
2. Jacob Behal/Tyler Droll (FUR) def. Alex Howle/Peter Bleach (CIT) 8-4
3. Andrew Mellow/Luke Synn (FUR) def. JC Pauli/Dillon Berkabile (CIT) 8-3