Bulldogs Fall to Georgia Southern in First Round of SoCon Championships
Elon, N.C. - The Citadel tennis team wrapped up its 2013 season falling to No. 6-seed Georgia Southern 4-0 in the first round of the Southern Conference Championships Thursday afternoon at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
The Eagles went up early winning the doubles point. In the No. 1 position David Orces and Peter Bleach fell to Oliver Webb and Matthijs Verdam 8-1 and in the No. 2 position Oliver Dedding and Alex Howle were defeated by Rayane Djouad and Marco Osorio 8-4.
Georgia Southern picked up three straight points in singles action. Dillon Berkabile fell first as Andrew Dromsky defeated the Bulldog junior 6-0, 6-1. Albert Codina Sala defeated Peter Bleach 6-0, 6-1 to clinch the third point for the Eagles. Rafael Racy sealed the win for GSU with a victory over Jackson Pride 6-2, 6-2, in the No. 6 position.
The Eagles improve to 11-8 on the season as they are scheduled to play No. 3-seed College of Charleston at 1 p.m., at the Burlington Tennis Center on Friday. The Citadel concludes the year at 7-14.
1. Rayane Djouad (GSUM) vs. David Orces (CIT) 6-0, 3-1, unfinished
2. Andrew Dromsky (GSUM) def. Dillon Berkabile (CIT) 6-0, 6-1
3. A. Codina Sala (GSUM) def. Peter Bleach (CIT) 6-0, 6-1
4. Oliver Webb (GSUM) vs. James Atkinson (CIT) 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
5. Alex Doherty (GSUM) vs. Elliott Sperr (CIT) 3-6, 1-5, unfinished
6. Rafael Racy (GSUM) def. Jackson Pride (CIT) 6-2, 6-2
1. Oliver Webb/Matthijs Verdam (GSUM) def. Peter Bleach/David Orces (CIT) 8-1
2. Rayane Djouad/Marco Osorio (GSUM) def. Oliver Dedding/Alex Howle (CIT) 8-4
3. Kyle Hoffman/Alex Doherty (GSUM) vs. Dillon Berkabile/JC Pauli (CIT) 7-4, unfinished